The great Venetian architect Carlo Scarpa carried out a series of particularly interesting installations and interventions for the Biennale during the post-war period from 1948 to 1972.
In 1948 Scarpa curated the installation of the Guggenheim collection, as well as the distinctive lay out of the Paul Klee room. His work linked contemporary architecture to the specificity of the Venetian environment and its traditional craftsmanship.
In 1958 Scarpa designed the Alberto Viani room, and around forty other rooms in 1960. Futhermore, he designed the interior of the Italian Pavilion in 1962, 1964, 1966 and 1968, building a false ceiling in the main hall, thus doubling the exhibition space. His installation of the Fontana room became famous in 1966, featuring cubic pedestals specifically designed for the artist's sinuous sculptures. In 1972, Scarpa concluded the series of interventions, characterised by what Corboz defined as a "muséographie poétique".