What's new at the 68th Venice International Film Festival
The following projects are being completed for the 68th Venice International Film Festival:
1. Total renovation of the interior of the Sala Grande in a project that includes:
a) An increase in the number of seats from 1,017 to 1,032;
b) Installation of seats with greater acoustic absorption;
c) New solid wood flooring without airspace;
d) New carpet in areas of passage for the public and the delegations;
e) New wood paneling on both sides of the Sala, to restore the architectural design of the Project by Quagliata, in order to improve the acoustic efficiency of the Sala Grande;
f) Removal of all additions made in the past that produced reverberation and reflections;
g) New colours inside the Sala Grande, in darker shades as required by international standards for the quality of the screening, maintaining however the “1940’s style”.
h) Change in the colour of the Sala with a drastic reduction in the effects of luminescence and reflection;
i) New screen larger than the current one;
j) New technological air conditioning systems that regenerate and sanitize the air in the Rooms;
k) New lighting with continuous fluorescent lights along the lateral pilasters to replace the old neon lights;
l) New upholstering;
m) New entrance door to the Gallery and a reorganization of the entrances for the delegations and the public;
n) Restoration and renovation of the Hall of the Galleria (waiting room for the delegations;)
o) Renovation of the public bathrooms.
In addition, some special maintenance work will be done inside the front section of the building (walls, ceilings and lighting).
2. Outdoor spaces
The Biennale di Venezia has directly rented indoor and outdoor spaces at the Hotel Excelsior and inside the perimeter of this hotel, including the so-called Piccole Procuratorie and the Lion’s Bar, and will therefore undertake:
a) a new unitary design project for the entire route between the Excelsior and the Exhibition;
b) The indoor and outdoor renovation of the Lion’s Bar, with a project featuring distinctive design, and the surrounding area in order to create a new bar-refreshment system managed by commission from the Biennale; creation on the terrace in front of it, overlooking the boat docks of the Hotel Excelsior, of spaces for Rai/TV.
c) a new organization of the complex of spaces in the internal area of the Excelsior according to the following guidelines:
- The entire terrace will be kept free of volumes and installations and will retain its customary function as a guest space.
- The swimming pool space will be reserved for the Terrazza Lancia and destined for Parties and Events;
- The covered indoor spaces at the Excelsior rented by the Biennale will be designated to host Institutional guests, sponsors and, on the top floor, the Digital Video Library;
- The opening and closing nights will be held on the beach of the Excelsior, furnished with a tent structure;
- The façades of the Excelsior (north and south side) and the “Piccole Procuratorie” will be the site of an artistic installation developed by Marco Nereo Rotelli with a light show based on the theme of “Words in Cinema”. The project also envisages works in Santa Maria Elisabetta, the Gran Viale and the Nicelli airport.
3. Other projects
- Free wi-fi service will be activated in the principal venues on the Lido and at the Exhibition.
- An agreement is currently being negotiated to open a campsite at the Centro Morosini (Alberoni - Lido di Venezia), and to use Residenza Junghans (Giudecca) at extremely affordable prices for accredited visitors (thanks to an agreement with the Esu – Ente Studentesco Universitario) http://www.hostelsclub.com/article/accrediti-biennale
- A new route will be established with a special waterbus provided by ACTV connecting the Darsena Casinò to San Zaccaria (Hotel Danieli) leaving every 30 minutes, free of charge to accredited guests.
- The Biennale will offer a shuttle service organized by Lancia and by the association of hotels, between the Exhibition area and the main hotels on the Lido, the hotel Hungaria, and running all the way to the Nicelli airport;
- A special shuttle service on an Alilaguna waterbus will be activated between the Marco Polo Airportand the Darsena Casinò (calling at Murano-Museo, Certosa - where Rebel, a collateral event of the 54th International Art Exhibition, created by James Franco, will be shown from 4 September (preview Saturday 3 September) - and Lido S.M.Elisabetta) and vice-versa.
- Bike Sharing service available on the Lido for the entire duration of the Venice International Film Festival. The public and industry professionals at the Festival may use the service, which will be free of charge for the first hour. There will be two pick-up and drop-off points for the bicycles: one at Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta and the other near the Palazzo del Cinema (Via Candia).
- Ferrovie dello Stato Italian railway system. Discounts up to 40% on ticket prices to attend the screenings of the 68th Venice International Film Festival on the Lido (31 August - 10 September) and a 20% discount on the price of the ticket to visit the 54th International Art Exhibition, which will be open through November 27 at the Giardini and the Arsenale. These discounts are reserved for the holders of Cartafreccia (the Trenitalia fidelity card) and to anyone who travels to Venice on board the Frecciargento or Frecciabianca. In this case it will be necessary to show the railway ticket for which the date of arrival must be less than three days earlier. The discounts for tickets to the screening of the Venice International Film Festival are subordinate to seating availability.
5. Spaces for entertainment
- The indoor courtyard of the large Caserma Pepe building next to the Nicelli will be cleaned up, for use as a venue for parties and entertainment and fitted with lighting installations that are part of the project by Marco Nereo Rotelli;
- The Nicelli will also be the location for new spaces dedicated to the press and industry, with top quality catering services, open until 2 a.m.
- Currently being negotiated is the tender to award the catering services in the spaces of the Garden, the bar inside the Palazzo del Cinema, the bar on the 1st floor of the Casino and the restaurant on the third floor.