Biennale College is a project aimed at training young artists, conducted by the Dance, Music, Theatre and Cinema departments of the Biennale di Venezia.
To encourage young talents, offering them the opportunity to work side by side with the masters to develop “creations”: this is the spirit of the Biennale College, a well-fitted bridge that allows young people who wish to engage in one of the arts to do so under the finest conditions that an international institution can offer.
The Biennale College-Dance project offers a 12-week-intensive programme (4 April > 26 June 2017) for newly professional dancers, between the ages of 18 and 23, with the opportunity to participate in somatic approach sessions, technical classes, study of the William Forsythe’s repertory, specifically focussing on the piece Sider, with internationally renowned contemporary dance teachers.
In the final phase of the programme the dancers will be part of a new creation with the choreographer Benoît Lachambre.
One extract of the work on Sider of William Forsythe and the new creation of Benoît Lachambre will be presented to the public in a final performance as part of the 11th International Festival of Contemporary Dance at the Venice Biennale.
The selection is open to participants from all over the world.
The participation in the project is completely free for the selected dancers.
The participants must only bear the costs pertaining to their travel expenses, board and lodging and local transport.
Each of the selected candidates will be required to pay a registration fee in the amount of € 70,00 (tax included); this sum must be paid once confirmation of the selection has been received and no later than the date that will be indicated in due time.
The project will take place from 4 April to 26 June 2017 and will be structured in daily training classes from Tuesday to Saturday included.
The programme is structured as follows:
- one full week intensive course of somatic approach with Dale Russell (Breathexperience)
- one full week intensive course of somatic approach with Nora Benian (Yin Yoga)
- somatic approach sessions with Judith Koltai (Authentic Movement)
- somatic approach sessions with Maria Raffaella Dalla Valle (Feldenkrais)
- sessions for the study of contemporary techniques
- sessions focussed on the study of William Forsythe's piece Sider with Katja Cheraneva, Frances Chiaverini, Josh Johnson, Roberta Mosca, and David Kern, original dancers of the Forsythe Company
- sessions of movement research
- a final intensive two-week session conducted by Benoît Lachambre and dedicated to the development of a new creation
- presentation to the public of one extract of the work on Sider by William Forsythe and of the new creation by Benoît Lachambre in a final performance as part of the 11th International Festival of Contemporary Dance of the Biennale di Venezia.
You must first register on the Biennale website and submit the following documentation:
- Curriculum Vitae (specifying nationality) (max. 1000 characters) and two photographs (half bust and full figure in motion)
- Letter of motivation
- Two letters of reference
- A video (viewable via a link) that documents the dancer’s technical and expressive abilities (max. 2 minutes long: an improvisation would be ideal)
Application deadline: February 28, 2017.
The selection will be made at the discretion of the Director of the Dance Department of the Biennale di Venezia.
A maximum number of 15 dancers between the ages of 18 and 23, with solid training and previous qualified experience, will be selected.
The results of the selection will be announced in the days following application closing date.