Biennale College - Dance 2018
La Biennale di Venezia, chaired by Paolo Baratta, announces the new edition of the Biennale College – Dance with two new international calls dedicated to young dancers and to new choreographers, as set forth in the project by Director Marie Chouinard.
The Dancer Project
A selection will be made of 15 dancers between the ages of 18 and 23, who for 3 months – from April 4th to July 1st – will work in Venice on a programme that encompasses both training and interpretation.
- • The training is articulated in two sections:
- "technical": in turn divided between "contemporary technique" and "experimentation with movement", both taught by the dancers of the Compagnie Marie Chouinard.
- "somatic approach", practices focused on the awareness of the body, on energy and on the process and inner feeling of dance, with tutors: Judith Koltai (Authentic Movement), Gaby Agis (Skinner Realeasing Technique), Ami Shulman (Feldenkrais), Tom Koch (Alexander Technique), Linda Rabin (Continuum).
• In the area of interpretation, the dancers will work on two pieces:
• Les 24 Préludes de Chopin (1999) by Marie Chouinard and a New Creation by Daina Ashbee conceived for them. The two works will be performed by the dancers as part of the 12th International Festival of Contemporary Dance.
Some phases of the work in progress will be shown publicly during 3 "open" days to be held as part of the 16th International Architecture Exhibition.
The Choreographer Project
There will be a selection for 3 choreographers ages 32 and under to develop 3 original free creations approximately 20 minutes long to be presented during the 12th International Festival of Contemporary Dance.
• The selected choreographers will be in residence in Venice from May 15th to July 1stand following an initial preliminary phase, dedicated this year to the analysis of Marie Chouinard's creative process, understood not as an aesthetic model but as a starting point for a personal elaboration, will work for 6 consecutive weeks with 7 professional dancers selected for this purpose.
- • In the various phases of research, development and production of the 3 original creations, the selected choreographers will have the opportunity to work with experts in dramaturgy, composition and stage direction, such as: Isabelle Poirier, maître de ballet at the Compagnie Marie Chouinard, Guy Cools, for dramaturgy, Simone Derai for stage direction
- • Some phases of the work in progress will be shown publicly during 2 "open" days to be held as part of the 16th International Architecture Exhibition.
The International Call 2018
The official full-length text of the international call of the Biennale College – Dance 2018 may be consulted online at: www.labiennale.org/en/biennale-college
Biennale College is an innovative and complex experience that engages all the Departments of the Biennale di Venezia – Cinema, Dance, Music, Theatre – to promote young talents offering them the opportunity to work closely with masters to develop creations.
Biennale College – Dance, organized by the Biennale di Venezia, is supported by the Ministry for the Cultural Heritage and Activities – General Direction for the Performing Arts and by the Regione del Veneto.