With the arrival of Giuseppe Volpi as president (1930), the Biennale began to organise exhibitions of Italian art abroad, and to curate the Italian participation in various important international exhibitions. In 1932 a major Italian art exhibition was set up in New York, and later in other American cities. In 1933 the same initiative was realised in Europe, with exhibitions presented in various cities around Germany.
In 1935 the Biennale organised an "exhibition of modern and contemporary art" in Paris, and a sculpture exhibition in Vienna. In following years, figurative art exhibitions were promoted in Budapest, Amsterdam, and Sydney. One of these exhibitions was set up in five cities between Bucharest and Athens, before reaching India. A touring exhibition of Italian landscapes was set up in Warsaw in the autumn of 1937; later moving to Tallin where it remained until spring 1938.
In the postwar period, following the organisation of an exhbition in Switzerland in 1947, the Biennale curated the Italian participation in other significant international biennial exhibitions such as that of Alexandria and São Paulo. The Biennale continued to promote these initiatives abroad until the mid 1970s.