TUESDAY 27 AUGUST
- Campo San Polo Arena – Venice, 8.30 pm. Pre-inauguration of the 70th Venice International Film Festival in collaboration with the City of Venice – Circuito Cinema Comunale. Francesco Rosi’s masterpiece Le mani sulla città (Hands Over the City, 1963), the film that won the Golden Lion award 50 years ago, will screen in a version digitally restored for the occasion by the Cineteca nazionale di Roma, and presented as a world premiere screening.
WEDNESDAY 28 AUGUST
- Teatrino di Palazzo Grassi, Venice at 19.30 pm, the fourteenth edition ofthe international short film festival, Circuito Off kicks off. The night will get under way with the International Competition, which this year has 29 video finalists participating from 13 different countries. The festival, which has various sections, will continue until 31 August.
THURSDAY 29 AUGUST
- Spazio Fondazione Ente dello Spettacolo, Sala Tropicana 1, Hotel Excelsior –- Venice Lido, 11.30 am. Screening of the documentary Carlo Maria Martini. Un uomo di Dioby Salvatore Nocita, produced by Officina della Comunicazione, and San Paolo Audiovisivi, in collaboration with Vatican Television Centre, Diocese of Milan, and with the support of Fondazione Italcementi.
- Sala Grande, Palazzo del Cinema – Lido di Venezia. Award ceremony for the presentation of the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement to William Friedkin, following the screening of a restored version of his masterpiece Sorcerer (1977), renewed for the occasion by Warner Bros. Pictures.
- Excelsior Hotel – Lido di Venezia. Gala evening Jaeger-leCoultre for Emergency: it's time to help Sierra Leone, with a spectacular red-carpet dinner prepared by chef Ernst Kham and a closing live performance by Edoardo Bennato. The Swiss Manufacturer has renewed its commitment to Emergency by funding the renovation of the Goderich surgery and pediatric centre in Sierra Leone.
FRIDAY 30 AUGUST
- Venice Film Market, San Servolo Island – Venezia, from 9.30 am. Networking session entitled CICAE: Independent Exhibitors meet Sales Agents. This special session includes a first phase of 90 minutes during which the Sales Agents’ trailers will be presented to the Independent Exhibitors followed by a 90 minute one-on-one meeting session with the Sales Agents.
SATURDAY 31 AUGUST
- Venice Film Market, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 9.30 am. Four African works-in-progress films will be screened within the framework of the new programme, FINAL CUT IN VENICE. These screenings will be open to sales agents, distributors and producers only.
- Spazio Luce Cinecittà, Hotel Excelsior - Lido di Venezia, 3:30 pm. UNICEF Italia presents the film by Ilaria Borrelli and Guido Freddi Parla con gli Alberi, which deals with sex tourism and underage prostitution. The presentation will be followed by an encounter with the filmmakers, the UNICEF Italia spokesperson Andrea Iacomini, the journalist Barbara Palombelli and the President of ECPAT Italia, Marco Scarpati.
SUNDAY 1 SEPTEMBER
- Terrazza Maserati, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia. Press Conference (12 noon) and Awards Ceremony (8:30 pm) of the 11th edition of Premio Kinéo Diamanti al Cinema. During the event, the award partners SNCCI and RAI – Commercial Division will presentthe Audience and Critics and Best Italian Film Abroad prizes respectively. In addition, the memory and career of great Italian film agent, Carol Levi, will be honoured with the KAA - Kinéo Agent Award. The Event is dedicated to the WWF.
MONDAY 2 SEPTEMBER
- Spazio Fondazione Ente dello Spettacolo, Sala Tropicana 1, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 11.30 am. Feds presents the 2013 Robert Bresson Award. The award will be presented by Monsignor Claudio Maria Celli, president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, and the ceremony will also be attended by Paolo Baratta, President of the Biennale and Alberto Barbera, Director of 70th Venice Film Festival.
- Press Conference Room, third floor, Palazzo del Casinò – Lido di Venezia, at 3 pm. An international panel titled: Biennale College – Cinema : The International Horizon, chaired by Peter Cowie; panelists will include Savina Neirotti (Italy, Biennale College – Cinema and TorinoFilmLab), Stephanie Zacharek (USA, Film Critic for the “Village Voice”), Richard Corliss (USA, Chief Film Reviewer for the weekly magazine “Time”, New York), Mick LaSalle (USA, Chief Film Reviewer for the “San Francisco Chronicle”), Aditya Assarat (Thailand, producer of Mary is happy, Mary is happy), Tim Sutton (USA, director of Memphis), and Alessio Fava (Italy, director of Yuri Esposito).
- Spazio Fondazione Ente dello Spettacolo, Sala Tropicana 1, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 4 pm. FedS and Bayer will present the debate Lo sguardo del cinema su diversità e integrazione (The filmmaker's eye on diversity and inclusion). Panelists will include: Cécile Kyenge, Minister for Integration; Luigi Restelli, Vice President of Pangea Foundation, Daniele Rosa, Director of Corporate Communication, Bayer S.p.A., Andrea Stratta, CEO of UCI Cinemas. Moderator: Steve Della Casa, film critic. The debate will be followed by the screening of the film Italy amore mio by Ettore Pasculli, sponsored by the Ministry of Integration.
- Sala Torcello, Hotel Excelsior - Lido di Venezia, 5 pm. Press conference to present the short Insieme by Annamaria Liguori, starring Euridice Axen, Giorgia Wurth, Nicolas Vaporidis and Monica Scattini, with music performed by Marco Carta. The short, which is based on a true story, was created and curated by Pro Format Comunicazione, and was produced by Nicola Liguori and Tommaso Ranchino of A.C. Meltin'Pot for the ONLUS Salute Donna and for the Italian Society of Psycho-Oncology. Two screenings of Insieme by Annamaria Liguori will be open to the public, one at 6:30 pm and a second at 6:45 pm, in the Sala Torcello, Hotel Excelsior at Lido di Venezia.
TUESDAY 3 SEPTEMBER
- Spazio Fondazione Ente dello Spettacolo, Sala Tropicana 1, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 6 pm. FedS, Centro Teatro Ateneo Fondazione Eduardo De Filippo, and Istituto Luigi Sturzo present the new issue of Quaderni della Cineteca Nazionale Eduardo e il suo Monologo tra cinema, teatro e storia, curated by Sergio Bruno, editor, co-published with Rubbettino.
WEDNESDAY 4 SEPTEMBER
- Sala Torcello, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 2:30 p.m. UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), in conjunction with Borsa Italiana, presents the fourth Categoria Orizzonti Collateral Award / UK-ITALY Creative Industries Award - Best Innovative Budget. The award’s goal is to valorize a creative and innovative approach to the production and financing of quality cinema. This year, the award goes to the films Il terzo tempo by Enrico Maria Artale and Kush by Shubhashish Bhutiani.
- Spazio Fondazione Ente dello Spettacolo, Sala Tropicana 1, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 5 pm. FedS presents the latest issue of Bianco e Nero, historical quarterly of the Experimental Centre of Cinematography, directed by film critic Alberto Crespi.
THURSDAY 5 SEPTEMBER
- Sala Grande, Palazzo del Cinema – Lido di Venezia, 9:45 pm. Award ceremony for the Persol Prize to Andrzej Wajda. It will be followed by the screening, Out of Competition, of his new film Walesa. Czlowiek z nadziei (Walesa. Man of Hope), a tribute to Lech Walesa, one of the key figures in the history of the new Poland.
- Venice Film Market, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia. ANICA meets Russia, a seminar aimed at the development and promotion of the relationship between the film industry and the business world, in particular with operators and institutions in the Russian Federation. The meeting, funded by the Ministry of Economic Development, is divided into two parts: the first entitled Opportunità per le aziende del Made in Italy (Opportunities for companies in the "Made in Italy" sector) and the second Collaborazione cinematografica (Film collaboration, productions and co-productions).
FRIDAY 6 SEPTEMBER
- Cinema Astra, Lido di Venezia, starting from 9.30 am.The 21st “City of Venice” Award, curated by Michele Serra and Gianfranco Boinesso. It will be followed by the screenings of the awarded film: Le sac de farine by Khadija Leclère (Morocco, 90’) and by UFO In Her Eyes by Xiaolu Guo (China, 110’). A debate with the directors will be held following each film. The 21st “City of Venice” Award will be also presented on Saturday 7 September at Centro Culturale Candiani in Mestre, at 3:30 pm.
- Sala Pasinetti, Palazzo del Cinema – Lido di Venezia 11.00 a.m. Award ceremony for the Premio Bianchi to Enzo d’Alò, During the ceremony it will presented his new film Il flauto magico, a special episode form the TV serie Pipì, Pupù and Rosmarina.
- Hotel Excelsior, Venice Film Market-Industry Office, 11.00 a.m. Workshop on "Green economy and green jobs in Italian cinema”. Speakers include the director Alessandro D'Alatri. Organized by the association Green Cross Italia. www.greendropaward.it
- Press Conference Hall, Palazzo del Casinò – Lido di Venezia, 12.00 am. Presentation of the L’Oréal Paris Film Award, instituted by L’Oréal Paris for young actresses in recognition of talent, beauty and a dazzling film season. The winner will be voted by the public on line from candidates: Eugenia Costantini, Chiara Gensini, Katy Saunders, Nina Torresi.
- Ca’ Giustinian – Venice. 19th Euro-Mediterranean Conference on Filmmaking entitled I circuiti della conoscenza e dei servizi culturali per lo sviluppo (The circuits of knowledge and cultural services for economic development), organized by the Italy Information Office of the European Parliament, in collaboration with OCCAM and CICT-UNESCO.
- Sala Grande, Palazzo del Cinema – Lido di Venezia, at 4:45 pm. Award ceremony for the the Jaeger-LeCoultre Glory to the Filmmaker 2013 prize to the Italian director Ettore Scola. Following the ceremony it will be presented, Out of Competition, the world premiere of his new film Che strano chiamarsi Federico! Scola racconta Fellini, a tribute to Federico Fellini on the 20th anniversary of his death.
- Sala degli Stucchi, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 5:00 pm. AGISCUOLA presents the award ceremony of the Leoncino d'Oro, the Golden Cub Lionaward, now in its 25th edition, and the 34th Segnalazione Cinema for UNICEF.
- Spazio Luce Cinecittà, Sala Tropicana, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 5:00 pm. Award Ceremony of the Premio Fondazione Mimmo Rotella.
- Hotel Excelsior, Sala Chez Vous – Lido di Venezia, 7 p.m. Awards ceremony of the Green Drop Award. This collateral award participates for the second time at the 70th Venice International Film Festival. Promoted by the association Green Cross Italia and by the Municipality of Venice. With the participation of the director Mimmo Calopresti, president of the jury, and two jurors, the actress Ottavia Piccolo and the climatologist Vincenzo Ferrara. The speakers are Fabio Testi and Roberto Farnesi. www.greendropaward.it
SATURDAY 7 SEPTEMBER
- Spazio Luce Cinecittà, Sala Tropicana, Hotel Excelsior – Lido di Venezia, 12.00 am. The agency Free Event and Cinecittà Luce, sponsored by Direzione Generale Cinema - MIBAC and SIAE, present the Soundtrack Stars Award, awarded to the best soundtrack in the films in competition in the Official Selection by a jury chaired by director Giuliano Montaldo and the participation of the singer-songwriter Cesare Cremonini. The jury award will be accompanied by the Soundtracks Stars Cubomusica Award, awardedonline by the public, who may express their preference on http://www.cubomusica.it.