The project will take place from April 1st to June 30th 2019 and will be structured as daily training sessions, for a total of 6/8 hours a day, for five days each week.
La Biennale di Venezia reserves the right to change the work schedule at any time during the project.
The programme is structured as follows:
1) SOMATIC APPROACH
a programme focused on the awareness of the body (somatic approach) with two intensive one-week sessions (6 hours per day) and with weekly sessions of daily practice (2 hours a day) with:
• Judith Koltai (Authentic Movement) – 1 intensive one-week course and 1 week of daily practice
• Gaby Agis (Skinner Releasing Technique) – 1 week of daily practice
• Shelley Senter (Alexander Technique) – 2 weeks of daily practice
• Linda Rabin (Continuum) - 2 weeks of daily practice
• Ami Shulman (Feldenkrais) – 2 weeks of daily practice
• Tika Bowrin (Postural Pilates, Yoga, Somatic and Meditative Training) – 1 intensive one-week course.
2) CONTEMPORARY TECHNIQUE
A programme for the study of contemporary techniques with daily sessions held by Amanda Kmett' Pendry, Cecily Campbell, Marc Crousillat, Leah Ives, all dancers from the Trisha Brown Dance Company.
3) MOVEMENT RESEARCH
A programme dedicated to movement research, which in this edition will focus on Trisha Brown's composition methods, with daily sessions with the dancers of the Trisha Brown Dance Company.
1) With regard to the interpretation of the Contemporary Repertoire, the project Set and Reset/Reset will be developed with the dancers of the Trisha Brown Dance Company, following a unique protocol that Trisha Brown used with her dancers during the construction of the original choreography in 1983. The young dancers, after learning the basic material of the original piece, will generate their own movement which will be shaped into the final performance of Set and Reset/Reset, a variation on the original choreography. As Trisha Brown's company in 1983, the young dancers will be an integral part of both the creative process and the end result.
2) In the area of interpretation, the dancers will also work with Alessandro Sciarroni on a new creation.
The dancers will have individual meetings with each of the tutors.
During the programme, the 15 selected dancers will participate in two OPEN days presenting the works-in-progress and in an outdoor performance.
At the end of the process, the 15 dancers will present a public performance of the end result of the project Set and Reset/Reset of the Trisha Brown Dance Company and a new creation by Alessandro Sciarroni as part of the 13th International Festival of Contemporary Dance of La Biennale di Venezia.
Selection and announcement
Deadline for registration: January 16th, 2019
The selection is open to participants from all over the world.
The selection will be made at the complete discretion of the Director of the Dance Department of La Biennale di Venezia Marie Chouinard, and will be tentatively announced at the end of January/early February 2019.