After achieving the certification of Carbon neutrality for the 78th Venice International Film Festival in 2021, this year La Biennale di Venezia worked systematically to fight climate change by promoting a more sustainable model for the design, installation and operation of its festivals. This commitment involved all the activities connected to the festivals that were held in 2022:
- 59th International Art Exhibition
- 50th International Theatre Festival
- 16th International Festival of Contemporary Dance
- 79th Venice International Film Festival
- 66th International Festival of Contemporary Music
La Biennale, which is ultimately seeking to neutralize its carbon impact, has worked in two directions: to reduce emissions under its own control, and to offset residual emissions by purchasing certified carbon credits generated by renewable energy projects in India and Colombia.
As far as reducing emissions is concerned, La Biennale has integrated the principles of environmental sustainability in every phase of its events’ life cycles, while at the same time raising awareness and involving the suppliers of the goods and services it needs for the festivals.
The main actions that were taken include:
· Using energy from renewable sources;
· Reducing the materials used, and promoting recycling for their end-of-life;
· Reusing the exhibition materials and equipment;
· Increasing the number of vegetarian options for food service, with a preference for zero-kilometre food products;
· Reducing the impact of logistics by optimizing travel routes.
These choices produced instant results and in the future will be reinforced to consolidate the benefits in the long term.
For all the events, the most important component of the overall carbon footprint concerns the mobility of the participating public. In this sense, La Biennale will engage again next year in a communication campaign to raise the awareness of the public.
The entire process for achieving carbon neutrality, conducted in compliance with the international standard PAS2060, was certified by RINA.