The Red Cube and the White Piazza
The “Citadel of Cinema” at the Lido is completing its rebirth. The program which was launched after the annus horribilis in 2010, when the fragility and criticality which had accumulated over time reached a highpoint, is progressing in a systematic fashion.
The Red Cube sets the seal on this rebirth. And as such, it is a complement to the surrounding buildings, reminders of the decisive stages in the Festival’s history (the terrace of the Excelsior was the first Festival’s headquarters; the Palazzo del Cinema, constructed in 1937, was the first hall created for a film festival; today, the brand new Sala Darsena crowns the open-air arena which, in its time, was a symbol of the Festival’s openness to its public; the Casinò, which became a definitive Festival acquisition in 2000, symbolizes a new, programmatic relationship with the international press.
Thanks to the commitment of the Municipality of Venice, the large square in front of the Casinò as well as the Sala Grande have been completely renovated this year. Other resources will also be earmarked for the Casinò in the near future for further revamping and renovation.