7.1 Opening and deadline of submissions
The submission of films to the 78th Venice International Film Festival is open from 18 January to 11 June 2021. While for VR works the submission deadline is set on 31 May 2021.
7.2 Conditions for the submission of a film
All films submitted must be recently produced, completed not prior to 12 September 2020, and must not have been presented earlier in any other format or length, not even as a work-in-progress, for any selection in previous editions of the Venice International Film Festival.
As a consequence of the particolar situation caused by the Covid-19 emergency, the Direction of the Festival reserves the right of considering also films completed before 12 September 2020, as long as they have been produced after 7 September 2019, and provided that they have not had any form of commercial distribution or exhibition on the Internet and that they have not been already submitted with regative result to the selection of the 2020 edition of the Festival.
The directors of first or second films (feature length or short length) are invited to provide information on their curriculum vitae as requested in the online submission form, for the purposes of research and documentation. Under no circumstances may films to be presented at the Venice International Film Festival have been shown in prior public screenings. Works previously presented in competing or non-competing sections at other international festivals are also excluded, as are those already available on the web. Venice VR Expanded works in competition may have been screened in public only in their country of origin. Possible exceptions to these conditions may be decided at the discretion of the Festival Director.
7.3 Accepted formats
For films invited officially to the Venice International Film Festival, only the following screening formats will be accepted:
• Digital Cinema Package – DCP ( 35mm upon agreement with the Direction of the Festival).
• VR Expanded Projects can be 360 videos, linear or interactive works 3 DOF and 6 DOF compliant with one or more of the following devices: Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, HTC Vive Pro, HTC Vive Cosmos, HP Reverb/Windows Mixed Reality. iOS or Android devices(any other format must be previously agreed upon with the Direction of the Festival).
7.4 Selection procedure
Regarding the selection of the works submitted, the Festival Director will be assisted by his staff of experts, as well as by a group of correspondents and international consultants, each responsible for different geographical areas. The Cinema Department will put each decision on the record.
7.5 Registration fees
For each film submitted to the selection of the Venice Film Festival, a registration fee is requested to cover administrative costs. The fee is 150 Euro for feature length films and VR Expanded projects, 70 Euro for short films. For films submitted from 1 June 2021 the fee will be 175 Euro for feature length films and 80 Euro for short films. The registration fee for VR Expanded projects will be 175 Euro if they are submitted from 1 May 2020. As for film schools, the registration fee for short films will be 250 Euro for a maximum of 10 submissions. The request must be sent directly from the school to the Cinema Department (email@example.com), that will assess the school requirements.
The fee will not be reimbursed under any circumstance. The costs of screenings organised outside the main venue (Venice) must be met by the participants.
7.6 Materials to submit for the selection
In order to be eligible for selection, the films presenters must, no later than 11 June 2021 (31 May for VR Expanded projects, in competition and for the “Best of VR Expanded” selection):
· fill out the online PRE-SELECTION ENTRY FORM for feature length and short films;
· fill out the online PRE-SELECTION ENTRY FORM for Venice VR Expanded;
· pay the registration fee;
· upload the film file to our streaming service, exclusively through the link that will be indicated at the moment of registration, or send a copy of the film to the Venice Film Festival (formats allowed for feature length films: DCP, DVD, Blu-ray disc; formats allowed for short films: file upload only). In case of VR Expanded projects, indicate a link to download the file (the link must be valid at least until 31 July 2021), following the instructions sent after completing the submission;
· include an information sheet on the director and on the film, with an information kit including a synopsis, director’s notes and the film production context;
· for all non-Italian films, we request the submission of a copy subtitled in Italian or in English (including films for which the original language version is in English). VR Expanded projects must be in English or in original language with English subtitles.
Any other information regarding the film submitted for selection must be sent exclusively in electronic format to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Venice Film Festival is under no obligation to return the films submitted for selection, unless they arrive with prepaid return packaging via express carrier (courier or diplomatic bag). Any returns must be requested no later than 30 September 2021. The work-in-progress materials and films for which no return has been requested may be transferred to the Historical Archives of Contemporary Arts of La Biennale for exclusive purposes of documentation and research. They will not be used for commercial purposes, in order to protect the interests of the filmmakers and the producers.