Venice VR Expanded is the Virtual Reality section of the 78th Venice International Film Festival of La Biennale di Venezia (September 1st through 11th, 2021), which was an early champion of Virtual Reality, first introducing the medium to its programme in 2016.
The 2021 Venice VR Expanded selection is composed of a total of thirty-seven projects (eight 360 videos, twenty-five VR projects, four VR projects upon reservation) from twenty-three Countries, divided as follows:
24 projects in Competition
11 projects in the Best Of section
1 project in the Biennale College Cinema VR section
1 Special Event Out of Competition
In addition to the above, a selection of 34 VRChat worlds with 5 Special Events will be presented in the VRChat Worlds Gallery accessible through the Venice VR Expanded world on VRChat.
Line-up of Venice VR Expanded
The 2021 Venice VR Expanded programme is accessible:
· On-site in the VR Gallery at Palazzo del Casinò (Lido di Venezia) for 78th VIFF accreditation holders (Press, Industry and Cinema). Reservation is required on the Boxol platform, in the section “VR Gallery – Palazzo del Casinò”, via the event “VR Gallery Reservation” from September 1st to 11th, 2021.
· Online for VR accreditation holders and all 78th VIFF accreditation holders (Press, Industry and Cinema) through access codes redeemable on the Boxol platform, in the section “VR Online”, via the event “Access codes to VR official selection online” from September 1st to 19th, 2021.
· At 14 Satellite venues around the world for the general audience from September 1st to 19th, 2021.
The 78th Venice International Film Festival accreditation holders may view the Venice VR Expanded Official Selection:
· At the VR Gallery on the 2nd floor of Palazzo del Casinò, upon reservation on the Boxol platform, in the section “VR Gallery – Palazzo del Casinò”, via the event “VR Gallery Reservation”.
· Online on HTC Viveport, Oculus Store and VRChat through PCVR and Oculus Quest headsets
Online Viewing on:
· HTC Viveport: for 6DoF projects compatible with PCVR headsets (17) and 360 videos (6)
· Oculus Store: for 6DoF projects compatible with Oculus Quest headsets (9) and 360 videos (6)
· VRChat: for VRChat projects (2) and performances (2)
· Dedicated platform for the VR performance “Bedlam” (1)
· iOS/Android app for the immersive audio project “Knot: A Trilogy”(1)
Special Event: “In the Mist” is available onsite at the VR Gallery on the 2nd floor of Palazzo del Casinò in Venice and at the 14 Satellite Venues.
Instructions on how to access the selection
Check out the Venice VR Expanded line-up to find out the platforms for each project.
The Venice VR Expanded Official Selection is compatible with the following devices:
· Tethered VR headsets compatible with Viveport: Vive Pro / Vive Pro 2 and Oculus Rift / Rift S / Oculus Quest w/Link
· Oculus Quest 1 or 2 headsets to access the projects available through the Oculus Store
· iOS 10.0 or later / Android 6.0 or later for the immersive audio project “Knot: A Trilogy”
Check out the Venice VR Expanded line-up to find out the compatible devices for each project.
The Venice VR Expanded 2021 world on VRChat is where all our social events, meetings, talks and parties are held and where accredited guests can explore 34 VRChat worlds from our VRChat Worlds Gallery selection (for the first time in a festival selection). The Venice VR Expanded 2021 world includes:
· The Exhibition Hall which links to preview worlds for titles in the official selection
· The Amphitheatre for screenings
· The Piazza is the main gathering area to socialise
· The City which houses 34 VRChat worlds from our VRChat Worlds Gallery
· The Tower which contains a collection of VRChat avatars
In order to access the private instance of our world, please register your VRChat username on the Boxol platform, in the section “VR Online”, via the event “Venice VR Expanded online world on VRChat”.
Venice VR Expanded online Social events, panels, screenings and talks
How to navigate VRChat
The projects of Venice VR Expanded are also available for viewing for general audiences in the physical spaces set up at the following cultural institutions around the world that form the 78th Venice International Film Festival Venice VR Expanded Satellite Programme:
Thanks to these institutions general audiences who do not own the VR equipment necessary to view the projects online, may enjoy the experience of the projects of Venice VR Expanded on site.
Audiences can access the Venice VR Expanded programme by making a reservation directly with each venue.