The International Kids’ Carnival
The 12th International Kids’ Carnival of La Biennale di Venezia moves online, from Saturday February 6th to Sunday February 14th 2021, offering a rich programme of free educational activities.
Reservation is required (firstname.lastname@example.org) for all activities. The online programme will be divided, as always, into days dedicated to the schools (from Monday through Friday) and weekends (Saturday) for families and adults.
The International Kids’ Carnival 2021 takes place as scheduled, and offers a highly varied programme on the website and on the virtual platforms, featuring dance, music, games and stories inspired by the history of La Biennale and its exhibition venues (Giardini and Arsenale), artistic activities revolving around the sketches of costume and set designs from the Historical Archives of Contemporary Arts – ASAC, science lectures organized in collaboration with the CNR – ISMAR (CNR National Research Council – Institute of Marine Sciences).
There are currently 180 school classes registered for the online workshops for a total, at the moment, of 3,534 participating students. The section titled The Magnificents is back again, with 5 high schools involved in the development of the online workshops. Among them, 172 creative young students will organize workshop activities defined by an interdisciplinary approach aimed at orienting student interests.
A special acknowledgment will be awarded to the schools that, in this moment of great difficulty, will present projects for the Silver Lion for Creativity Competition for pre-school, primary and lower and upper secondary schools, projects the aim of which is to develop creativity in schools, applied to the arts.
The International Kids’ Carnival is a project by La Biennale di Venezia which since 2010 has been organized for children and schools with their teachers and families, stimulating young people’s creativity and participation and maintaining a constant, direct, practical and active dialogue with the participants.
Programme of workshops for schools
The following is the programme of activities dedicated to the schools and teachers:
- didactic workshop and/or lecture for the students;
- educational activities with the presentation of workshops also featuring a digital kit, for teachers;
- personalized didactic proposals, again for teachers, to develop an activity with the class.
The workshop typologies that may be selected and reserved are:
- Artistic, with stories inspired by the history of La Biennale and its exhibition venues (Giardini and Arsenale);
- Music and Dance, in a journey through the sounds of the world including Africa, Asia, America and Europe;
- Costume-making, with the study of sketches of costume and set designs from the Historical Archives of La Biennale – ASAC;
- Scientific, with the intent to make the new generations aware of underwater noise pollution and its consequences on marine organisms and ecosystems, in collaboration with the Institute of Marine Sciences of the CNR National Research Council.
The Disquieted Muses
On this occasion, La Biennale will again present the lectures and virtual workshops made to disseminate the themes of the exhibition titled The Disquieted Muses. When La Biennale di Venezia Meets History, a new way to consult the valuable materials of the Historical Archives of Contemporary Arts – ASAC.
Programme of workshops for families and adults
Families are invited, on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, to make reservations for the free Music and Dance workshops, and finally, also on weekends, there will be virtual guided tours for everyone of Ca’ Giustinian, the institutional headquarters of La Biennale and a splendid palace on the Grand Canal.