Biennale Architettura Sneak Peek
Thursday, November 12th is the starting date for the Biennale Architettura Sneak Peek, the new digital project leading up to the 17th International Architecture Exhibition (22 May > 21 November 2021), titled How will we live together? curated by Hashim Sarkis.
A new video-interview with Hashim Sarkis, conducted by the architectural historian and critic Luca Molinari, starts the project. Unique videos and images of what we will see in the 2021 edition will follow. This is a unique opportunity to “peek” at the exhibition, with a daily schedule on the website of La Biennale di Venezia and its digital platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube) that will alternate between the contributions of the invited participants and those of the National Pavilions at the 17th International Architecture Exhibition.
“Over the coming few months – stated Sarkis – we will be releasing a series of sneak peeks of the projects, laying out a bridge that leads us towards the inauguration of the Exhibition”.
The videos and images will answer five questions posed by Sarkis to all the participants:
- How can we answer the question How will we live together? today, and how do we also involve an audience that is not specialized in the issues of architecture?
- How did your team collaborate in the project and how can the role of the architect be defined as that of a convener?
- Every architectural space inspires new social arrangements and relationships: how do you represent that relationship in your project?
- How does your project relate to the scales (Among Diverse Beings, As New Households, As Emerging Communities, Across Borders, As One Planet) identified in the Exhibition theme?
- The Biennale Architettura has been postponed to 2021 due to the global health emergency still underway. It may be too soon to describe the impact of the pandemic on architecture, on the Biennale, on the projects and on the theme of the exhibition. But beyond that, what do we expect from the Biennale Architettura 2021, given the many challenges that Venice has faced in recent years at the global level?
“It will be interesting to see – commented Sarkis – how each participant, in such an unusual year, has been able to look beyond his own national borders, especially through the discussions and meetings on digital platforms, and how these initiatives will then be absorbed into the design and realization of the exhibits and pavilions”.
The Podcast programme
In a programme of five Podcasts, Sarkis will share his thoughts and reflections on the five scales of the Exhibition as seen through the city of Venice, its history and the way it exemplifies these five scales of living together. Between MOSE and Tiepolo is the title of the first podcast to be released on Monday, November 16th. All the episodes will be available in English on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts.
The Exhibition’s soundtrack
The virtual journey towards the 17th International Architecture Exhibition can also be experienced in La Biennale’s new Spotify profile. The official soundtrack of the Biennale Architettura 2021 will consist of a playlist with pieces chosen by the participants: music, a song or a composition that inspired their project and represents their identity and professional practice. It will then be possible to visit the exhibition accompanied by this special soundtrack.