Commissioner: ifa - Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen
Curator: Yilmaz Dziewior
Exhibitor: Maria Eichorn
In her project, Maria Eichhorn focuses on the history of the German pavilion and its architectural transformation. The Bavarian pavilion, built in 1909, was renamed the German Pavilion in 1912 and was redesigned in 1938 to reflect fascist aesthetics. A new façade, rear extensions, and a raised ceiling contributed to the Pavilion’s intimidating appearance. Despite post-war modifications, the building still embodies the formal language of fascism. Maria Eichhorn uncovers traces of the original pavilion, hidden behind its 1938 redesign. The project also includes city tours to places of remembrance and resistance conducted by Giulio Bobbo and Luisella Romeo and developed with the Istituto Veneziano per la Storia della Resistenza e della Società Contemporanea (IVESER), performances by Nkisi and Jan St. Werner, and a catalogue.